Pike Pinkster

Pike Pinkster
Go fishing!

Tuesday 10 March 2015

March of the Anglers

For optimal experience please imagine Morgan Freeman reading this article to you

"March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb".  This might be one of the most obnoxious phrases a person could say, right after "that's why they call it fishing and not catching".  March is a time of change here in Alberta.  While we all brace ourselves for a few last blasts of winter, signs of spring's arrival are everywhere.

March is the last test of a fisherman's patience.  After enduring months of bitter cold and fishing through an 8" hole in the ice, we are ready to dust off the fly line and get back to the river.  March also gives me the opportunity to cross something very important off my angling bucket list: to catch a trout of 20" or greater while floating down the river on a chunk of ice.

My heart will go on

As we approach the middle of March the snow pack in the lowlands begins to melt away.  This means fluctuating water levels, off-colored water and ice breaking away from the banks.  A word to the wise: if you do plan on wading the river at this time of year, be sure to take a peak upstream every once in awhile for those pesky ice flows.  The obvious reason is that you may see me battling an epic trout on my frozen drift boat, but the more serious reason is that even an average sized chunk of ice could give you a religious experience.  Head to a stretch of river that you are familiar with; the last thing you need at this time of year is to go in over your waders.

Spring fishing gets me giddy.  Some of the early melt causes the river clarity to change on an hourly basis.  This pre-runoff period brings fish close to the banks eager to feed.  For anyone who has spent time with me on the Bow, you realize very quickly that I am a ninja with a fly rod.  I can sneak up to even the most skiddish of trout even when the water is gin clear.  I almost feel bad for the trout when the water turns to chocolate milk, as even the most splashy waders can nearly get on top of the fish before they notice an intruder.

I have a few simple pointers when fishing cloudy water during this pre-runoff period:
  • cast tight to the banks.  As the water levels rise, the trout will often move tight to the banks to pick off early season bugs that may fall into the river.  
  • use a darker pattern that moves a bit of water.  Visibility can be a big issue at this time of year.  At times the fish have less than a foot of visibility to find your fly.  Large dark patterns can cast a stronger shadow and give the fish a better opportunity to pick up your presentation.  If you plan on throwing a streamer, try something with rubber legs that causes a bit more disruption through the water.
  • strike like a viper.  Due to the lack of clarity in the water, the fish may take a strike at a presentation they would usually ignore.  The strikes may be subtle, so your window of opportunity might be limited.  If you are fishing with an indicator, the fish may not even take the indicator all the way under.  If you see a small jump to the side or upstream, give that line a tug.  Remember, hook sets are free.
I am not a proud fishermen.  This time of year is absolutely terrific for San Juan worms, leech patterns and stonefly nymphs.  Often times I will shamelessly set up a rig with a worm and a stonefly, and watch the magic happen.  A stonefly nymph can have a lifespan between 1-3 years, which means that these tasty treats are available in the river throughout the year and often serve as a terrific searching pattern.  

Stonefly nynph


Early Spring fishing on the Bow has proven to be some of my most productive fishing of the entire season.  As the water changes from winter clear to spring cloud my inability to present a drag free float isn't be nearly as apparent.  With the passing of day light savings time, anglers also have an opportunity to get an hour or two in on a weeknight.  Wives and girlfriends rejoice!

Now I have a reputation as a lover of Northern Pike to maintain here.  Most of what I have written thus far focuses on technical presentations to catch early season trout.  Trout aren't the only predator looking for an early season snack in the shallows.  The biggest fish I have ever caught (in any body of water at any time of year) was from the Bow River on a beautiful spring evening in April.  It was an evening I will never forget and I always get a little bit excited when I think about getting down to the river this early in the season.  Get that sloppy casting out of the way now, the season is about to start!


My friends and family are sick of hearing this story, trust me

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jordan, I've added your blog to my "Alberta Fly Fishing Blogs" roll on my Bow River Shuttles Blog. I will also mention your blog in my next newsletter, 'The Stimulator', which I hope will go out in the next day or two. Kind regards, Michelle http://bowrivershuttles.com/

    ReplyDelete